In recent years, MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) have gained significant popularity among civilians and preppers alike. They are an ideal option to include in emergency preparedness kits or for long hikes and camping trips. In this article, we will delve into the world of MREs, their benefits, and where you can find them for sale in bulk.
Why Choose MREs?
MREs come complete with everything required for a single meal, making them an attractive choice for various situations. Here are a few reasons why people prefer MREs:
- Long shelf life: MREs last anywhere from 3-5 years if stored correctly, ensuring they remain edible throughout their lifespan.
- Convenience: These meals come prepackaged, removing the need for any additional cooking or preparation.
- Nutritional value: MREs are calorie-dense and provide essential nutrients, keeping you energized and healthy during strenuous activities or emergencies.
- Durability: MREs are packaged in durable containers to protect them from extreme conditions, allowing for easy storage and transportation.
Despite these advantages, MREs tend to be relatively expensive when compared to other long-term food options, with prices ranging between $5-$15 per meal. This cost is due to the packaging process and the fact that the US government does not allow direct sales from manufacturers to civilians.
Finding MREs for Sale in Bulk
If you're looking to buy MREs in bulk, consider the following options:
Military surplus stores often have a stock of MREs for sale. These meals may be slightly older, but they typically come at a lower price compared to other sources, making them an affordable option.
Several online retailers specialize in selling MREs and other emergency preparedness supplies. Look for websites offering bulk discounts or sales promotions to get the best deals on your purchase.
While buying directly from manufacturers is not allowed, some companies offer their products through authorized distributors or third-party sellers. Keep an eye out for these deals, as they can provide significant savings on bulk purchases.
Remember, when purchasing MREs in bulk, it's essential to verify their expiration date and ensure that they have been stored correctly to guarantee their quality and safety.
Alternative Sources of MREs
If you are unable to find MREs in bulk or prefer a more cost-effective solution, consider these alternatives:
- Freeze-dried meals: These lightweight meals only require boiling water to prepare and offer a long shelf life similar to MREs.
- Canned goods: Canned food items are readily available, inexpensive, and boast a lengthy shelf life, making them a suitable option for emergency situations.
- Dry goods: Items such as rice, pasta, and beans can be easily stored and combined with various ingredients to make nutritious meals.
Maintaining MRE Quality and Shelf Life
To ensure your MREs remain safe and edible throughout their lifespan, follow these storage tips:
- Keep them cool: Store MREs in a cool place, preferably between 60-70°F (15-21°C) to maintain their quality and extend their shelf life.
- Keep them dry: MREs should be stored in a dry area, away from any moisture or humidity that could compromise their packaging.
- Rotate your stock: Regularly check the expiration dates on your MREs and consume older meals first to avoid wasting food.
In conclusion, MREs are an excellent emergency food option for both civilians and military personnel. They offer convenience, nutritional value, and durability, making them ideal for various situations. By purchasing MREs in bulk through surplus stores, online retailers, or authorized distributors, you can save money and ensure that you are prepared for any eventuality. Just remember to store them correctly to maintain their quality and safety.